MOPA Reopens at Balboa Park on July 2
UPDATE: July 7, 2020:
In response to the rising COVID cases in San Diego County, the Museum of Photographic Arts is temporarily closed beginning July 7, 2020. We’re supporting all the efforts to control this spread. Given the uncertainty of the weeks ahead, we will remain closed to the public until after Labor Day.
The Museum will provide additional updates on reopening, which will be in accordance with County and State orders.
Questions about membership? Click here.
Browse our library of digital content:
- Online exhibitions: Browse through photography – from your home.
- Fly through exhibitions: Nothing beats the real thing but this is as close as you will get to walking into our doors.
- In Process: Watch quick, how-to videos about photo processes like building a pinhole camera and making sunprints.
- Photo 101: If you had to start anywhere, try here.
- Conversations with artists and scholars: Hear it from them. Watch artists tell you about their artwork.
- Endless resources at MOPA.org/learn: Take a journey and see where our resources lead you.
- MOPA In Focus: Kevin Linde takes you through MOPA’s permanent collection to explore big ideas. These are recordings of previously live streamed shows.
- Through My Lens: Virtual learning for the budding artist at home. MOPA’s youth programming leads guide you through fun activities for the whole family.
- Winescapes with Artist: Join MOPA Executive Director and Chief Curator Deborah Klochko as she catches up with artists, scholars, curators and other friends of the Museum. These are recordings of previously live streamed shows.
June 22, 2020:
The Museum of Photographic Arts reopens at Balboa Park on July 2 and 3 to members and on July 4 to the general public. For non-members, the Museum is Pay What You Wish.
To ensure a safe visit at MOPA:
- Guests and staff are required to stay at home if feeling unwell
- Masks are required (Ages 2+) to enter the Museum
- Visitors should maintain six-feet distance from others outside their household
- Optional entrance fee will be taken at a front desk through a protective plexiglass barrier
- Hand sanitizing stations are located at the entrance. Bathrooms are located outside the Museum and are disinfected every hour.
- Members-only opening: July 2-3, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- General public opening: July 4-5, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Summer hours starting July 10: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. on Friday, Saturday and Sunday
What about the art? Keep your distance from each other – get up close and personal with the art.
MOPA has two exhibitions currently on view, including Out of the Shadows: Contemporary Chinese Photography. In this state-of-the-art show, MOPA is making the unique perspective of Chinese artists approachable for visitors to explore how thousands of years of pictorial traditions continue to influence the arts today. Out of the Shadows is inspired by the last three decades of China’s dynamic development. This exhibit puts a spotlight on a number of artists from China whose work is not known in the U.S.
Illusion: The Magic of Motion is also on view at MOPA. Visitors will explore how the earlier works and today’s contemporary art has shaped how we see motion in stills and video. They will witness centuries of scientific and artistic explorations.