Reports to: Manager of Collections and Exhibitions
Hourly rate range: $16-$19/hour (non-exempt)
This position is part of the Department of Visual Learning, which oversees exhibitions, collections, library, and education projects and programs. The primary responsibilities of the Assistant Registrar are to assist the Manager of Collections and Exhibitions with caring for the Museum’s collections; work on preparation for temporary exhibitions; and assist with daily departmental operations. The following duties are reflective of typical responsibilities, but are not all-inclusive:
- Accession works entering the permanent collection, including completing condition reports.
- Assist the Manager of Collections and Exhibitions with maintaining up-to-date and accurate information in EmbARK.
- Attend to copyright requests for works for which MOPA holds copyright.
- Coordinate with all Museum departments to facilitate access to the digital collection and assist with image and rights requests.
- Work cross-departmentally to prepare digital assets and physical objects for programs involving the permanent collection.
- Assist the Manager of Collections and Exhibitions with the evaluation of the Museum’s current standards of collection care, identifying priorities and implementing strategies for improvement.
- Ensure that staff follows collection care policies.
- Coordinate collection care needs with curatorial needs.
- Create and send Acknowledgment Letters and Deeds of Gift to donors.
- Coordinate loan agreements with artists and other institutions, including the shipping and receiving of works, for temporary exhibitions for both regional and international loans.
- Maintain accurate exhibition checklist and compile details for exhibition labels.
- Gather reproduction rights for art appearing in exhibitions and accompanying catalogs.
- Complete incoming and outgoing condition reports and work with Exhibitions Team to address any conservation concerns.
- Work closely with Manager of Collections and Exhibitions and the Lead Preparator to oversee art handling and organization during installation periods. This includes, but is not limited to, moving art in-and-out of the galleries.
- Maintain orderly procedures, forms, documents, files and retrieval systems for the Museum and art on loan.
- Coordinate travel for visiting artists and couriers.
- Supervise volunteer projects, as needed.
The position requires a highly detailed, adaptable, and organized professional who has background and experience in collections care and collections databases.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in facilitating international and domestic art loans for temporary exhibitions and general collection management tasks for a collecting institution. We’re committed to finding the right individual for the position and equivalent experience or education in a related field will be considered.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work independently.
- Must work effectively in a fast-paced team environment and adjust quickly to changing priorities.
- Basic copyediting skills are preferred.
- Computer literacy with digital image capture, expertise in software including EmbARK, Adobe Photoshop, and Microsoft office suite are preferred.
- Willingness to be trained to assist with painting, hanging art, adjusting lighting in the galleries, and other installation tasks.
This job description is intended as a guide to the general job responsibilities and is not inclusive of every duty and employee is expected to perform. MOPA is committed to an inclusive, diverse, equitable and accessible (IDEA) workplace. As an organization, we seek to carry out hiring practices that meet these standards. (EOE/AA)
This is a part-time position. Regular hours will likely be 9:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, but may vary based on exhibition schedules and departmental needs. Must be available to work some weekends, holidays, and evenings.
To apply, please email your resume, cover letter, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
|☒ Sitting||☒ Grasping|
|☒ Walking||☒ Traveling|
|☒ Bending/stooping||☒ Kneeling|
|☒ Reaching outward||☒ Pushing/pulling|
|☒ Squatting/crouching||Usual amount 15 lbs (estimate)|
|☒ Manual dexterity||Max amount 60 lbs (estimate)|
|☒ Crawling||☒ Lifting|
|☒ Balancing||Usual amount 15 lbs (estimate)|
|☒ Standing||Max amount 40 lbs (estimate)|
|☒ Driving||☒ Carrying|
|☒ Climbing||Usual amount 10 lbs (estimate)|
|☒ Reaching Above Shoulder||Max amount 20 lbs (estimate)|