Marketing & Communications Internship
This position offers an introduction into the daily Marketing and Communications operations of a museum, offering valuable hands-on experience in the production of print collateral, public & media relations, multi-channel marketing campaigns, and working within and between teams. The position assists in creating, curating and distributing content; provides assistance with daily marketing tasks; and conducts research and compiles reports.
The Marketing & Communications Internship provides the opportunity to learn and gain experience with a wide variety of non-profit communications operations:
- Learn the basics of print design/coordination and the importance of delivering compelling design solutions for the web, social media, print collateral, and e-newsletters
- Gain understanding of how a comprehensive marketing strategy is implemented and the importance of branding guidelines
- Gain insight into the museum field by working side-by-side with professionals
Under the supervision of the Marketing and Communications Manager, the Marketing & Communications Intern will grow their understanding of the field by:
- Thinking creatively and providing assistance in developing new design concepts/campaigns
- Preparing rough drafts and presenting your ideas; flyers, newsletters, invitations, etc. (print and digital); and distribution via MailChimp, social media channels, internal and external documents.
- Aiding in promotional efforts for events and day of execution; may include photographing programs and events
- Organizing project schedules and other important information
- Researching and documenting industry trends, competitors, PR mentions, and project schedules.
- Assisting with public relations and media relations activities
- Providing assistance with copy editing & distributing collateral on and off-site.
- Other projects as assigned
- Duration of internship: 10-12 weeks
- Must be available twice a week for 2-5 hour blocks, from Monday to Friday between the hours of 9:00 am – 5:00 pm.
- Approximate hours per week: 4 to 10 (may vary)
- Currently enrolled at a college/university (rising junior or above)
- Has demonstrated interest in digital marketing, graphic design, public relations, communications, and/or nonprofit organizations
- Excellent organizational and communication skills (written and verbal) with focused attention to detail with a strong work ethic and professionalism
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Basic to intermediate knowledge of photography
- Must work well independently and as a team member
- Must be proficient in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop experience preferred
- Prior experience with MailChimp or similar email marketing program preferred
Please submit resume and a cover letter stating your interest in applying for this internship and what you hope to gain from it if selected to email@example.com.
MOPA internships are unpaid and are no guarantee of any future positions or general employment in the museum.