Visitor Engagement Specialist
Status: Full-time or Part-time, non-exempt. Benefits-eligible with a minimum of 32 hours per week.
Hours: 10-40 hours per week on average, will vary semi-monthly based on need
Salary: $15+ per hour
Start Date: June 2019
Reports to: Visitor Engagement Lead
The Museum of Photographic Arts is seeking attentive, experience-oriented individuals to actively engage with the Museum’s visitors as a part of our Visual Learning Department. Successful candidates will have an education focus and be outgoing, enjoying interacting with the public for extended periods of time.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide an educational, guest-focused experience to all MOPA visitors within the Museum’s galleries, including, but not limited to:
- Welcome and acknowledging visitors as they enter, from a standing position
- Respond to inquiries about MOPA, the exhibitions, and questions about Balboa Park
- Guide visitors to points of interest and general overview of exhibitions
- Provide additional levels of engagement for all visitors
- Provide point-of-donation services as visitors enter the museum, including, but not limited to:
- Communicate Pay What You Wish policy
- Assist visitors with Museum donations and memberships
- Provide information about MOPA programs, membership, and events that may be of interest
- Provide information about Explorer Pass
- Balance registers at opening and/or closing
- Lead scheduled tours through the Museum’s galleries for school and other groups using inquiry-based strategies
- General duties, including but not limited to:
- Participate in training sessions about current exhibitions and read provided materials on each exhibition so as to be informed and have the ability to interact with visitors in a knowledgeable manner.
- Learn about other programs and events on the Museum schedule to be prepared to assist visitor inquiries and sell those programs to visitors.
- Maintain admissions area and galleries with regular cleaning, stocking of materials, and straightening. Ensure that all components are in working order.
- Establish and maintain a secure environment within the museum facility by maintaining a physical presence within museum galleries and/or public areas where artwork is displayed.
- Maintain a high level of awareness with regard to safety regulations and procedures, museum rules and behavior policies and communicate these to visitors.
- Responsible for final checks and closing museum based on a checklist.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience and Characteristics:
- Proven experience working in an educational field, such as classroom instruction, training, tour guide, etc;
- Track record of outstanding customer service;
- Positive attitude and the ability to work both independently and as a member of a team;
- Friendly, enthusiastic, and outgoing;
- Knowledge and experience with photographic arts preferred;
- Must be able to work with a variety of age groups and be comfortable engaging with a wide range of knowledge, experience, and abilities;
- Must be able to spend extensive time on their feet
- Must enjoy working with diverse audiences and be a solid public speaker who can manage groups;
- Computer skills, knowledge, and experience with Google Drive, Calendar, and Docs;
- Flexible schedule;
- Extremely reliable and dependable;
- Must be available to work weekends, holidays, and some evenings;
- Bilingual a plus.
|☒ Sitting||☒ Grasping|
|☒ Walking(periods of 3 hours at a time||☐ Traveling|
|☒ Bending/stooping||☒ Kneeling|
|☒ Reaching outward||☒Pushing/pulling|
|☒Squatting/crouching||Usual amount 15 lbs (estimate)|
|☒ Manual dexterity||Max amount 60 lbs (estimate)|
|☐ Crawling||☒ Lifting|
|☒ Balancing||Usual amount 15 lbs (estimate)|
|☒ Standing (periods of 3 hours at a time)||Max amount 40 lbs (estimate)|
|☐ Driving||☒ Carrying|
|☐ Climbing||Usual amount 10 lbs (estimate)|
|☒ Reaching Above Shoulder||Max amount 20 lbs (estimate)|
Please e-mail resume along with a thoughtful cover letter that clearly describes how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of this position to: Manager of Youth and Visitor Engagement, email@example.com and reference “VE Specialist position” in the subject line. Please no telephone calls. No Recruiters. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
This job description is intended as a guide to the general job responsibilities and is not inclusive of every duty the employee is expected to perform.