Annual Juried Youth Exhibition
Since 2006, MOPA has held an annual juried exhibition showcasing the photographic talents of local youth. Every year, students are encouraged to submit work that responds visually to a particular theme. The winning entries are selected for their creativity and artistic interpretation of that year’s topic.
Call For Entries
MOPA’s 16th Annual Juried Youth Exhibition is open for submissions!
Theme: “Magic and Myth”
- MOPA encourages you to be creative with your interpretation of the theme!
- How are MAGIC and MYTH present in your life? What do these mean to you? What might you photograph to show your thoughts and ideas?
Submission deadline: May 9, 2022 at midnight
How to get started
- Change your mindset about photography. Get past literal interpretations of taking a photo. Approach this project actively and creatively.
- A literal interpretation means: I’m going to take a picture of a car or a tree
- A creative approach means: I’m not going to take a photo of something, I will MAKE a photo that communicates an idea.
- Get inspired by our YouTube shows. Here are some projects highlighted through our weekly online program for youth and families, Through My Lens:
- Understand the theme. What do Magic & Myth mean to you? Where is magic present in your life, or where would you like it to be? How do myths that you know from your culture relate to your real life? Where are there connections? If your story were a myth, what would it look like?
- Be authentic to your own story. Make work that reflects who you are and what’s important to you.
- Don’t discount your voice just because you have not practiced communicating it visually. Find a way to get across what you want to say using a camera combined with your other strengths. Contemporary art – in photography and in other mediums – is about ideas, not perfect art technique.
- Stick to it. What if your photo doesn’t come out well? Making a good anything is about persistence. You try, you assess and critique – identify what you did worked and what didn’t – and you try again.
Darkest Nights, Brightest Stars
On view through April 10, 2022
MOPA’s 15th Annual Juried Youth Exhibition uniquely combines imaginative artworks responding to two separate thematic calls for submissions: Growing Up and Space. Youth artists in K-12 throughout San Diego and Tijuana were invited to share their unique interpretations of these seemingly disparate themes through photography and video. Through their lenses, powerful voices and common threads emerged.
Congratulations to the student artists selected to be part of MOPA’s 15th Annual Youth Exhibition, Darkest Nights, Brightest Stars!
Stay tuned for our next call for submissions, set to open on November 15, 2021!